Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Shocking

Mayor Daley vetoed a living wage proposal tied to big box retailers. It is shocking that a democrat would veto this, but more shocking is that it is Daley's first use of his veto power in 17 years. Bravo man.

"I understand and share a desire to ensure that everyone who works in the city of Chicago earns a decent wage," Daley said in the letter. "But I do not believe that this ordinance, well intentioned as it may be, would achieve that end."Rather, I believe it would drive jobs and businesses from our city, penalizing neighborhoods that need additional economic activity the most," Daley said."In light of this, I believe it is my duty to veto this ordinance."

The measure would require that employees of retail stores with at least 90,000 square feet operated by companies with a minimum of $1 billion in annual sales be paid at least $10 an hour and receive $3 an hour in fringe benefits by 2010.

Keywords: Minimum Wage, ECO120

No comments: