Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shocked

It takes a lot to shock me. A lot. However I had no idea abortion was as common as this data suggests. But it looks to be true. The CDC report and data are here. On average there are 236 legally induce abortions for every 1,000 live births. That of course doesn't count "back alley" abortions, which I would guess are relatively infrequent these days. Of course abortion can also occur naturally, it is then more commonly known as a miscarriage. It appears that about half of all fertilized eggs are terminated by spontaneous abortion. However many of those women never even know they are pregnant. About 15-20% of women who know they are pregnant miscarry. I guess this should make God a bigger target for the anti-abortion crowd than planned parenthood? On a related note, here is a good graph on global condom use, or should I say lack of use?

No comments: